Prof. Sosten Chiotha is the Regional Programme Director for LEAD SEA. He holds PhD in Environmental Science (University of Maryland-USA), an M.Sc in Medical Parasitology (University of Malawi). Prof. Chiotha has published widely and is active in research work.
As Regional Programme Director of LEAD SEA, Prof. Chiotha has been instrumental in developing the organisation to its current level.
He has received various accolades for his work including a special award for promoting science in Malawi – presented by the Vice President of the Republic Of Malawi; Mr. Justin Malewezi (1996).
He holds various positions of leadership including:
- Chairman of National Commission on Science and Technology, Malawi (Since 2009) Chief Editor, Malawi Journal of Science and Technology (2007)
- Southern Africa Coordinator, International Professional Masters in Sustainable Development - LEAD/Forum for the Future/ Middlesex University.(2003-2004)
- Regional Board Member, African Renaissance Organization of Southern Africa (AROSA) (Since 2005)
- National focal point (Malawi), Southern & Eastern Africa African working group on pro-poor payments for ecosystem services: KATOOMBA NETWORK (Since 2004) Board Chairman, Malawi Industrial Research and Technology Development Centre (1996)
- Chairman, Malawi National Environmental Action Plan, Research Task Force (1993) Chairman, Monument Advisory Council of Malawi (1993-1995) the University of Malawi.